Last Saturday, we were in McMurray around noon. We were hungry! So of course we had one of those "Where do you want to get food?" - "I don't know, where do you want to get food?" conversations. Then I remembered La Bella Bean in Bridgeville. The last time we tried to go there, we couldn't actually get to it because the road was blocked off for a community day. So we decided to try again.
I've been to La Bella Bean before -- but it was about 7 years ago and just for coffee. I've been wanting to try their food. It's a coffee house & eatery, so like Panera, there's a fireplace and some comfy couches along with wooden tables & chairs. You order at the counter and when your food is ready, they call your name. There's free wi-fi. There's coffee house channel music from Sirius playing in the background. There's baked goodies, sandwiches, panini, salads, soups, coffees, teas, bagels... I was a little overwhelmed with all the options!I wanted a warm drink, so I ordered a small latte. SP got his usual iced tea. In addition to the grilled panini and house sandwiches, you can also create your own sandwich. You get to choose:
- the bread (Mancini Twist roll, Sliced Italian, Basil Focaccia, Plain or Whole Grain Ciabatta, Rye Bread, Plain, Wheat or Spinach Wrap, Multi-grain Bread or a Bagel)
- the meat (Smoked Ham, Roast Beef, Salami, Pepperoni, Capicola,Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad, Roasted Chicken, Turkey)
- the cheese (American, Swiss, Provolone, Fresh Mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Shredded Cheddar)
- the toppings (Lettuce, Tomatoes, Red onion, Cucumber, Roasted Red Peppers, Banana Peppers, Zucchini)
- and the spreads (Mayo, Horseradish mayo, Chipotle mayo, Pesto mayo, Olive Spread, Artichoke Spread, Yellow or Brown Mustard, Mustard Butter, Nunny’s Vinaigrette)
Wow! Lots of yummy options! You can also create your own salad, choosing:
- the type of lettuce (Baby Field Greens, Romaine Lettuce, Baby Spinach)
- 2 kinds of cheese (American, Swiss, Provolone, Fresh Mozzarella, Feta, Gorgonzola Crumbles, Shredded Parmesan, Shredded Cheddar)
- 4 toppings (Croutons, Black Olives, Kalamata Olives, Tomatoes, Red Onion, Cucumber, Artichoke Hearts, Roasted Red Peppers, Banana Peppers, Almonds, Walnuts, Craisins, Sunflower Seeds, Garbanzo Beans, Mandarin Oranges, Zucchini, Asian Noodles, Tortilla Strips)
- a dressing (Nunny’s Vinaigrette, Tuscan Caesar, Ranch, Sesame Ginger, Poppy Seed, Oil & Vinegar)
SP opted for a House Sandwich, The Turk: He got it on a spinach wrap. The Turk had smoked turkey, swiss cheese, jalapeno guacamole, tomato, and lettuce. Here's a close up of the wrapped goodies:He really enjoyed this sandwich. The jalapeno guacamole was very tasty but it didn't over power the sandwich.
I decided to try the La Martino Grilled Panini:It's grilled chicken breast, provolone, roasted red pepper, field greens, and mustard butter:I really enjoyed this! The chicken was sliced thin - it wasn't just a gigantic breast, which I really liked. The greens were fresh & yummy. The panini was nicely grilled - crispy but not too crispy or burnt. Yum!
Our sandwiches came with potato chips and a pickle spear.
After we ate our sandwiches, SP started dropping hints about a dessert treat. I was trying to be good and resist, but he wore me down. Turns out he really, really wanted to try one of the pumpkin desserts. They had pumpkin roll, pumpkin pie, pumpkin biscotti, and pumpkin cake. He got the pumpkin cake:He said it was dense and filling, pumpkiny and delicious, with a cream cheese icing. It reminded hm of a really good carrot cake, but with pumpkin instead of carrots. Since carrot cake is his favorite dessert, that is some pretty high praise heaped on the pumpkin cake.
I chose a Lemon Raspberry biscotti:It was nice, light, non-dense biscotti, with a terrific lemon flavor. The raspberry flavor came from the icing/glaze. The icing/glaze wasn't too sweet/sugary and was a nice accompaniment to the lemon flavor and the biscotti texture. Very tasty dipped in my latte.The staff at La Bella Bean were very friendly and helpful. We found it relaxing. SP was happily playing with his Droid. Plus, the sandwiches & baked treats were quite tasty. We both enjoyed our lunch at La Bella Bean and would definitely go there again.