Monday, April 11, 2011

Grilling Gone Wrong

Another week has flown by without a blog post! Wow!

I am happy to report that I can see the end of the project. It's very near. All the floors are in. The kitchen cabinet doors are back and look fabulous - no more dents, no more scratches, no more stains. Tomorrow the French doors are being installed. And hopefully the sunroom tile grout will be sealed.

Fellow Pittsburghers know that yesterday was a warm day. So warm that the temperature in our house rose from 67 degrees (our winter temperature with the heat running) to a balmy, throw open the windows and turn on the ceiling fans 78 degrees! We had a hard time sleeping last night because we were too hot!

In honor of what seems to be the real arrival of spring, we decided to rotisserie a whole chicken out on the grill. I was so excited about our first grilled meal of the year. Plus, minimal kitchen mess to clean up! We even had a full tank of gas for the grill. SP stuffed the bird, skewered him, tied him up, and got him rotating on the grill.

About 5 minutes later he popped into the living room where mom and I were sipping orange martinis, watching golf, and dozing off and asked,"Who wants pizza for dinner?!"

There was a mishap. The chicken caught fire. It was blackened in seconds. He swears he stepped away for just a second, but the bird caught fire, flames shot out the grill, and this was what dinner looked like:So we tossed it in the trash and called Pizza Milano to deliver a spinach-chicken-bacon pizza:It was a tasty pizza, it's my favorite pizza from them, I love pizza, but I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to have rotisserie chicken and salad. And now we don't have leftovers for the week. Oops.

Better grilling luck next time... At least it was just a $4-5 chicken from Costco, not an expensive leg of lamb or steak!

1 comment:

  1. That's happened to me more times than I care to admit. I have real problems grilling either goes up in flames or takes forever to cook. Pizza looks good, though, so at least it wasn't a total loss.