MSBC has 3.5 stars on Yelp and 88% like on Urbanspoon. So we thought it would be OK bar food. I have no idea how the ratings are that favorable because our experience was awful.
- It is wheelchair accessible, but there's a bit of a difficult lip at the door and a heavy door that likes to automatically swing shut. The hostess stood there and watched us, doing nothing to help, until the bartender said something to her, at which point in time we had managed to make it over the lip and not get squashed by the door.
- The hostess then said she had only a booth available, and since it was late and we were tired and hungry we said OK. It was a bit tight getting through the bar area to the booth in the bar area, and as SP & I paused to figure out how best to situate me (transfer me into the booth or just roll up to the end of the table), we were blocking a guy who wanted to get buy, the hostess seemed clueless, there seemed to be general confusion around me as I eyed the booth, and a server started asking the hostess why she wasn't seating us at one of 2 available tables in the next room. ? Why on earth would you put a wheelchair at a booth when a table is available? Why on earth would you put a wheelchair in a tight pathway when there are open and more spacious seats?
- After we were finally seated at a table, it took 5-10 minutes for our server to come over. She told us the soup of the day and took our drink orders. I asked if the iced tea was fresh (having been burned by awful pre-made crap at gastropubs/brew pubs before) and was told yes. She asked if we wanted unsweetened, we said yes, but asked for sugar on the side.
- 5-10 minutes later our iced tea arrived. Without sugar.
- We had to flag down another server to get sugar because our server was MIA/not looking our way when she did walk by.
- I ordered the soup on the day (Tomato Gouda) and our server said,"Oh, I was just in the kitchen and there's just a little bit left, I don't think there's enough left for a cup of soup, it didn't look like it." ? Well, is there or isn't there? Are you going to check for sure? Or do you not want to be bothered? Is it too much effort? I was flabbergasted, as was SP, and we sat there staring at each other while she stared at us before she said,"Sorry, I shouldn't have told you about it since we're out." ?
My final verdict:
- Terrible, lazy, unaware hostess
- Terrible, lazy, uninterested server
- Awful food
- Sadly small food portions
- Poor menu descriptions
The atmosphere was more of a King's Family Restaurant or Eat'n Park than brew pub. There were a lot of kids there at 7 pm on a Wednesday.
We would not return to MSBC if we are again in Corning, NY.